Thursday, October 11, 2007

Heart Sick (11)

Day #5, Aug 3, 2006

It was getting almost unbearable; I stayed awake longer as the morphine wore off and I felt the time was not moving; I couldn't drink any water because of the tube in the throat and I was terribly thirsty... I was so thirsty I actually felt the coolness and sweetness of the high-energy nutrient they fed me via the nose!

Just as I thought I was about to crash anytime, the nurse came with the greatest news of the day: the doctors thought I was strong enough to be taken off from the ventilator! It was another agonizing wait of few centuries before they finally came, armed with another set of apparatus, and finally announced: “We are taking this tube out. Stay relaxed. And remember to breathe as soon as the tube is out ok?”

Of course I know how to breathe! But it was after they pulled the tube out then I understood why the reminder... Probably I've got used to the machine helping my lung for the past few days, it took a few seconds before I realized I needed air, my lung was like a bike being kick-started! A few serious chokes/coughs (c/w serious chest pain) later, I'm on my own! I considered this a big milestone.

I was later given some sips of water, and that evening I had a good dinner of some porridges and honey dews. I felt strong again, and I thought it's going to be over soon.

All systems standing by...


-hs

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Counter
Free Counter