Wednesday, June 13, 2007

SMART Project (3)

It’s finally opened for traffic on May 14 – just over 1 month off the targeted date. I think that’s quite ok.

I took advantage of the ‘one month toll-free’ period and tried out the tunnel. Perhaps it was due to the earlier hypes of the media and publicity and my expectations set a little too high, the experience was a bit of disappointment to me; low ceiling, narrow, twisty, dim, grayish… couldn’t help but had this feel of claustrophobia. Digging the tunnel and all that may cost RM1.9b but I’m no engineer so I’d expect something more cangih, at least visually?

Never mind my opinion, anyway. It may not really that important to look pretty. But do I see if it has served it purposes? The road surface above the tunnel around Jalan Tun Razak is still filled with potholes; the manholes with protruding covers they intentionally placed in the middle of the roads look like a permanent features to me and traffic is still as bad.

SMART Tunnel entrance on Jun 11

Now that even the toll rate has been decided at RM2 a pop (even a raise forecast has already been worked out!) and the cash registers are ready to sing 11.59pm tonight, cars are still queuing bumper-to-bumper outside the tunnel and the rain on last Sunday didn’t help either. Although someone said it would have been just another rainy day if the tunnel were in full operation, I can only say ‘we’ll wait and see-lah’. It’s not tested yet. Just look at what they said about it easing the traffic earlier.


It's raining in KL.

Just another rainy day


All pictures taken from The Star Online.

-hs

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Counter
Free Counter