Saturday, April 28, 2007

Heart Sick (6)

Two weeks later I got the call from the hospital; my report from the Nuclear Viability Test was ready, and the cardiologist, Dr Aizai, wanted to see me.

The appointment date came and I went through the customary waiting routine (this time was quicker at only slightly more than an hour), and finally got to see the doctor.

My test results didn't change his mind of getting me the open heart surgery. The test showed 'salvageable' conditions; damages to my heart muscles were 'not too bad' and blood flow to my heart was assessed to be 'adequate' if some new grafts were to be made. The doctor showed me the color pictures taken from the scan, together with a scale model of a heart, tried to explain what was happening inside my chest, and what he planned to do to save me... nothing got into me, although I remembered nodding and saw him waving the films and plactic heart model, talking to me... I wasn't listening and all I could hear was myself, "looks like I've no choice!"

But I was cool - at least I thought so - I could remember the surgeon's name recommended by my earlier cardiologist, Dr Dewi from Gleaneagles, when I was asked if I had any preferred cardiothoracic surgeon I would like to consult in IJN. The doctor was kind enough and an appointment was immediately made with Dr KK Pau for 2 days later.

I made up my mind to have my surgery done in IJN; if the heart doctors in the National Heart Institute could not save me, I guess I couldn't complain much then! Called Dr Dewi the next day and she respected my decision. She even promised to check on me with the doctors in IJN. And I promised I'll be back to see her again after my surgery.

Scared? Yes.
Worried? Yes.
Panicked? Yes.

What's next? Let's do it lor!


-HS

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

errr...u make loose my appetite for my doughnuts and coffee lehhhh.....

May 1, 2007 at 8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Counter
Free Counter